Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Jar for Chanukah; No Oil


Today was the first day of Chanukah, which meant a party with the extended family. Here’s a fun and simple craft I made for my cousins. 

I found this placemat with dreidels cut out of it at Bed Bath and Beyond and was instantly inspired. 
          1.          Cut the placemat to size.
          2.          Cut silver metallic tissue paper to size. 
          3.          Set on both on jar lid. (I got a nice looking square jar from Michaels).
          4.          Cover with Modge Podge Dimensional Magic,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
That is all. The picture is a little misleading since I used my ancient cell phone, but it gives you an idea.

A note on Chanukah merchandise: 
In the last decade or so, Chanukah product availability has really expanded. (Hence the placemat at Bed Bath and Beyond). I am amazed by how much exists compared to in my childhood. In the last 5 or 6 years, even Passover goods have started appearing. It is funny, because I know that many Christians are saddened by the commercialization of Christmas, which I understand. Nonetheless, the commercialization of Jewish holidays feels like recognition. Besides, if a walking, wind-up dreidel is wrong, I don’t want to be right.          

No comments:

Post a Comment